A Tanzania family safari is one of the best ways that families can bond while enjoying a holiday in this East African country. With many family destinations nestled in the different parts of the country, your family will have the best holiday as they move from one destination to another. Note that every safari holiday is different and you will want to experience this with your family around you. We have put together an itinerary that will help you determine the places that you will want to visit and extra information on what you should expect during the family holiday.
When to go for a Tanzania family safari
Tanzania can be toured all throughout the year but the best time is during the dry season (June to October). This is known as the peak season and the good thing about this season is that you get to see the wildlife that Tanzania is known for and also get to relax at the several beaches that are located along the coast. The downside about visiting during the rainy season is that the cost of your safari will be extremely high.
The rainy season which starts in November and ends in April is also a good time to visit Tanzania because the price on everything during this time is reduced and the National Parks are not as crowded as they are during the peak season.
The cost of a family safari in Tanzania
The cost of this Tanzania safari depends on the accommodation that you have chosen and the duration of your safari. The longer the duration, the more you are bound to pay and yet with fewer days, you pay less. You should however plan for about $4000 per person if you intend on taking a Tanzania family safari. Below is an approximation of what you should expect to pay putting accommodation into consideration.
Luxury accommodation: $1250 per person per night.
Budget accommodation: $500 per person per night.
Where to go for a family safari in Tanzania
The Ngorongoro crater With The Kids
The Ngorongoro crater is located in the Northern circuit and a very good place for a family safari. The crater which is believed to have been formed over 3 million years ago is a home to be a home to quite a large number of animals like Zebras, impalas, bat eared fox and lions just to mention but a few. It has beautiful scenery created by the trees, animals, birds and not forgetting the crater itself which will lighten your trip especially for the children. The best time for families to take a safari to the crater is between June and October.
Serengeti National Park Family Safari
The Serengeti National Park which is famous for the great wildebeest migration is a perfect getaway for families on a safari to Tanzania. You get to drive around the Serengeti to witness one of the world’s largest animal migrations with your family.
Activities that you can engage in with your family while in Serengeti include tracking of the smaller animals, following the great wildebeest migration, birding, gam drives, village trips to the Masai village of Boma and enjoying a campfire while listening to stories.
Zanzibar Family Beach Holidays
Zanzibar is an island which is found at the East African coast covered with pristine beaches. As a former coastal town, the Island is filled with old trade buildings and streets from where you can enjoy with your family and not forgetting a relaxing moment at the several beaches which are found in Zanzibar.
Family activities enjoyed while on a safari in Zanzibar include beach games like snorkelling, beach soccer, a guided walk around the Island, dolphin watching, canoeing, relaxing at the beach, explore the Jozani forest, engaging in the festivals with the locals and visiting the numerous historical places around the Island.
Selous Family Game Drive
Locate in the southern circuit of Tanzania for safaris, the Selous Game reserve is a good place to visit with your family especially if you love quiet areas. It is located in the rural part of Tanzania and has a lot to offer in form of wild animals and bird species. Enjoy a family game drive through the Park before camping for the night with your family.
Some of the family activities that you can engage in while in Selous include a guided walk around the Reserve, canoeing, game drives, photo expeditions and many more others. The best time to take a drive to Selous is during the dry season ( June to October) because when the rains start, it becomes flooded and hard to reach which leads to its closure during the months of March towards the end of May.
Best family accommodation facilities on a safari in Tanzania
There are many accommodation facilities found in the different safari destinations in Tanzania but not all of them allow children in their facilities. Below is a list of the few and best facilities that are good for families.
- The Kiba point Selous, Kiba point is one of the most sought after accommodation facilities found in the heart of the Game Reserve. It gives you a clear view of the park and therefore you need to book earlier on if you want to spend the night here with your family.
- Zuri Zanzibar, this is a luxury accommodation facility and it is recommended for tourists travelling with families. It is located just right at the beach and has bungalows which are self-contained giving you and your family all the privacy that you need as you enjoy the sunset at the beach.
- The Lemala Ndutu camp, the camp is found in Serengeti and recommended for a family safari. They have spacious tents which are perfect for a family outing, offer children different activities like a joining a club from where they get to learn about the animals in the park, learning how to cook and enjoying stories around a campfire.
- Serians Serengeti camp, the camp has rooms with interconnecting family rooms which are perfect for a family. It gives you and your family some of the best views around the Serengeti plains.
- Breezes beach club and spar, this is located in Zanzibar and one of the bet accommodation facilities. It is a low budget facility with family rooms, staff which is good to children and they also offer children different kinds of activities to keep them busy while in Zanzibar.
- Kaskaz Mara camp, the camp is found in Serengeti and has some of the best rates for children on a safari. They have tents which can house a family of four and provide all the meals to you and your family all throughout your stay.
- Serengeti mobile camps, these are best used during the migration because they are easy to move around with while following the animals. They have children friendly staff and have mobile tents that can house a maximum of five people.
Tanzania Safari With Kids Itinerary
10 days family safari
Destinations : Serengeti, Ngorongoro crater, conservation area and Arusha
Amount : $7190 per adult
Number of people: 6 people
Length: 10 days and 9 nights
Age : 5 years and above
Day 1: Arusha
You will be picked from the airport and driven to your accommodation facilities in Arusha. If you are not too tired, you will get a chance to explore Arusha as you prepare for the long drive to the other destinations the next day.
Day 2 to 3: Arusha to Serengeti
You will be picked from the hotel and driven to Eastern Serengeti where you will meet the Masai people. These live in the Boma village and with the help of a tour guide, you and your children will be taught the ways of the Masai, how to hunt for wildlife, tracking animals and later in the evening, the children get to enjoy a story from the Masai elders around a campfire.
Day 4 to 6: Serengeti
After visiting the Masai, now it is time to explore the vast plains of Serengeti. Follow the wildebeest migration with your family, camp in the recommended areas before continuing your game drive around the park. Watch out for the big five, zebras, hyenas and elands among other fascinating animals.
Day 7: Serengeti to Ngorongoro crater
After breakfast in Serengeti, you will drive to the Ngorongoro cater which was declared a UNESCO Heritage site. The crater was formed from a collapsed volcano and it is one of the largest extinct crater in the world. You get to camp with your family within a close proximity with the crater and enjoy an afternoon game viewing. If you are lucky, you might be able to see all the Big five in one day.
Day 8 to 9: Ngorongoro
The highlands in Ngorongoro are a welcoming site to the children especially at the Gibbs farm where children get to play in the coffee farm, meet the locals while at the same time having a clear view of the crater and animals in the conservation area.
Day 10: Arusha
On day 10, you will be driven back to Arusha where you will catch your flight back home leaving the best memories of your safari in Tanzania.
Plan for your holidays in advance, talk to the experts to find out more about the family safari. Remember that these are memories that you will carry with you for the rest of your life with your family so make the best of everything.